Friday, October 24, 2008

Sponge Cake!




I was lucky (and I mean very lucky) enough to get a Kitchen Aid mixer for my birthday, even though that was a while ago I still hadn't had enough time to put it to use. Today though Claire and I decided to make a sponge cake, I've never made one before, mainly because I was to scared it would fail, but with my mixer I thought it may just be possible. 

I used a recipe I found in mum's very old and well used nursing mothers cook book. Everything seemed to be going well, even the fact that we didn't have a round tin, we managed with a square, the mixer whisked the eggs really well and really fast and I folded it all together with extreme care. We put it in the oven and were quite optimistic everything would turn out okay, but it didn't it flopped right in the middle. We managed to hide the fact by cutting it in half and turning it upside down, and evening it out with cream, but it still didn't quite cut it, I don't know if it was because we didn't use a round tin, or the fact we only sifted the dry ingredients twice and not three times as some other recipes suggest. I'm only comforted by the fact that some CWA members are too frightened of ruining sponge cakes to try baking it themselves, but one day i hope to master it, if anyone has any tips, or fool proof recipes i would be very happy to hear about them.  

From Meaghan. 

1 comment:

CurlyPops said...

I love your mixer...and even though the sponge sunk, it looks delicious!