Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Possum Magic!



When we were little possum's always held this magical quality for us. I think this is partly due to the reading of one very special book and also the fact that we didn't see Possums everyday. Living in the Suburbs possums just didn't exist. It was only when we went on camping trips out into the country that we got our possum fix. I remember waiting up until it was dark and then following Mum and Dad around the camp site with torches and apple wedges hoping to catch one at the bottom of a tree, or even better a baby possum looking for food with its mum. Sometimes we wouldn't find any but would leave some fruit out anyway, then we would wake up extra early to see if they had taken it. When I moved into the city last year i was amazed to discover possums living in our courtyard, I would catch them leaving their trees at night and see them as I was walking home, my housemates couldn't believe how fascinated i was with them (where they grew up possums were everywhere). The possum above I caught having a snack while i was on my way home from work one night, I think he is lovely.

From Meaghan...

3 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Isn't it nice when a few bush creatures come to visit us in suburbia!

Josephine Frances said...

Oh meggy you're so cute! Possum magic is an awesome book its true

Anonymous said...

Lamingtons!